Wednesday, November 28, 2007

cultural experiences

its been a while since I updated my blog...power and Internet troubles have been a bit more frequently lately. and school has picked up quite a bit as we are trying to finish out classes before Christmas. fortunately, the break does not seem to capture the minds of students quite as early here so they are still working hard and want to finish strong.

but i did want to write tonight and share my entertaining adventures from this evening. It is Wednesday and we just returned from sharing the Word on the streets and giving bread to those in need. Tonight my interpreter friend, Josie, was not able to come. Without him I knew this was going to be an interesting evening. At first we thought we would just go along with another group but any more than 2 or 3 white people attracts quite a bit of attention around town, so needless to say that approach did not go really well. Our next thought was to split up into two groups, one would p-walk and the other would share the Word. I really felt the need to lift up the other group and decided to lead the p team. Thus begins the adventure and along with Don (computer teacher), Summer (fourth grade teacher), and a ninth grade student we set out on the streets.

After about a minute we came across a group of ladies that I really felt the need to talk with. So with my very basic language skills, I am up to about three sentences and am very fortunate that greetings are so important that they consume about half of any conversation :), I began to talk to them and gave bread to them for their children. One of the ladies was particularly interested in showing me her child (I am still amazed how they carry them on their back with just a single shawl) and in all that she was telling me all i could understand was "daughter" over and over. I began to think that something was a little off but Don thought everything was okay and gave her another piece of bread for her baby. About this time a man walks up and starts listening to the conversation. He then turns to me and says "she is trying to get you to take her baby, she wants you to have her." Right, not good. Fortunately, I respectfully declined her offer and went away before I was left with all the ladies' children.

After a quick thought of thanks for the man who came by and randomly interpreted, we continued on our way. A little later Summer and I were walking side by side when two men walk past and one brushes my shoulder (a normal thing in a crowded city). As he walks by he says hello and then turns around a few seconds later and says "waz up?!?." Trying not to laugh at the man, somewhat under the influence with a bandana tied around his head, I replied "what's up?" not thinking much else about it. Two steps later he turns around and begins a stream of expletives (also not uncommon, seems they are often the only English words people know and they feel the need to share them) and then says "you look like a boxer", begins to shadow box and then goes off laughing with his friend. At this Summer is shaking, attempting to control her laughter and I can hardly believe this event has just happened. I have not ever heard that before, it was definitely a first. But it has become a bit of a joke now and when anyone needs a buddy for a walk around town, just ask the boxer.

Just a taste of life today :) It is certainly never boring.

No comments: